Company: Kodumajatehase AS
Project name: Treet (“The Tree”)
Location: Bergen, Norway
Completion: 2014 – 2015
MagiCAD software: MagiCAD Ventilation, MagiCAD Piping and MagiCAD Room for AutoCAD
Project team: BOB Eiendomsutvikling AS (Developer), Artec Prosjekt Team AS (Architect), Sweco AS (Static calculations, fire and acoustics analyses, energy calculations and main drawings with technical connections), Moelven Limtre AS (Supplier of glued laminated and cross laminated timber structures) and Kodumajatehase AS (Builder of apartments in prefabricated modular sections)
Kodumaja/Photo by Maris Tomba
The Norwegian city of Bergen has built the World’s tallest wooden building, a 14-storey residential high-rise named Treet (“The Tree”). The 52,8-meter-high wooden residential tower surpasses the previous record holder, the 32-meter Forté building in Melbourne, Australia, and includes a total of 62 apartments. Kodumajatehase AS partially designed the building and prefabricated it in modular sections complete with building services systems in Estonia, which were then shipped to Bergen.
The building services design in the project, made by Kodumajatehase AS, was carried out using MagiCAD Ventilation, MagiCAD Piping and MagiCAD Room for AutoCAD.
The load-bearing structures of the building consist primarily of glued laminated timber with multiple layers of lumber glued together using moisture-resistant structural adhesives. Concrete is used only on three concrete main floor slabs, serving as platforms for stacking four storeys of modular sections on top of each.
– Building services contract calculations in the project were carried out by SWECO VKKV engineers. In the detail design stage, Kodumaja’s objective was to draw the room modules in detail. The main challenge was how to fit all HVAC systems within the very tight space reserved for them within the building’s timber frame. There was approximately 180 mm of space under the ceiling, where we had to fit ventilation, sprinklers and lights. It was extremely important that the connection points of our house modules would fit perfectly with the connection points built by our partners on site. Every millimeter was vital in building the factory-produced timber-frame room modules. This was why you could not leave even the smallest detail in the project unsolved. Everything concerning the detail design had to come together like Lego. MagiCAD enabled us to create accurate product drawings and the ability to design in 3D ensured us that all our systems would tie in with the rest of the project seamlessly, comments Chairman of Kodumaja Projekteerimise OÜ designing company Andres Poom from Kodumaja.
In a building where the load-bearing structure consists primarily of wood, fire protection requires additional attention. To this end, the structures were built with special glued laminated timber which withstands fire for 90 minutes without failing. The building was also fitted with a sprinkler system, escape stairs and fire-resistant painted surfaces.
In addition to this, the building was designed to meet stringent passive housing standards, making energy efficiency and heat recovery key requirements for the building’s HVAC and piping systems.
– Sprinkler design was also a challenge. The balconies had to be designed with sprinklers because we had to take into account also the wooden load-bearing structures around the house modules. Because of this, we had to draw a separate sprinkler drawing for every ceiling panel. This required all together 994 drawings, so I cannot imagine how long it would have taken without MagiCAD, Andres says.
Kodumaja is a group of companies that specialize in construction of high-quality housing. Kodumaja employs effective and future-oriented construction methods which ensure that the projects conform to the construction requirements and standards in Kodumaja’s strategic markets. The expected service life of houses, set at a minimum of 50 years by applicable legislation, is not a limit for Kodumaja. Subject to proper maintenance, the structures of our houses will endure much longer periods. Ca 96% of Kodumaja’s projects has been carried out in the Nordic countries – Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, with the remaining 4% in Estonia.
In January 2019 we unified our brand under MagiCAD. Progman Oy and our subsidiary companies CADCOM AB and Progman Software UK Ltd, were renamed to MagiCAD Group. In addition to this, MagiCloud was renamed to MagiCAD Cloud.