O3FM inženieru birojs is one of the leading HVAC design companies in Latvia. The company was founded in 2003 and has since gained widespread recognition with both public and private sector projects, including office buildings, shopping centres, museums, educational institutions, hospitals, and industrial plants etc.
O3FM inženieru birojs specializes mainly in HVAC design, but also offers other services such as dynamic energy consumption simulations, CFD simulations, building project management and project audits. All design works are done entirely in BIM environment.
1. When and why did you start using MagiCAD software?
We have used MagiCAD for design work since 2006. In Latvia, MagiCAD is the industry standard solution and it is difficult to imagine working without it. We originally used MagiCAD for AutoCAD, but have now been using MagiCAD for Revit for over two years. We initially started to use MagiCAD for Revit as a result of growing market demands for it, but when we got used to working in Revit, we started to see how the Revit platform can be more suitable for projects that require a high level of detail in the BIM environment.
2. Which software have you used before?
Autodesk AutoCAD and CADVent.
3. Were there any difficulties with your previous tools?
With 2D drawings we were not able to have a good overview of systems layout as with 3D models, especially the coordination between different engineering networks.
4. How did you learn how to use MagiCAD? Was it easy to learn?
We learned MagiCAD by participating in the MagiCAD basic course that was organized by InfoEra Latvia. The software may have seemed challenging initially, but once you learn the basics, it is very easy to improve and develop additional skills as MagiCAD is very intuitive.
5. What is the role of BIM in your company?
BIM has a very significant role in our company, as it is required in most large-scale projects and the BIM requirements set by clients are continuously increasing in each new project.
6. What are some of your notable projects that were designed using MagiCAD?
- Zunda Towers, a multifunctional complex in Riga
- Preses Nama Kvartāls, a business quarter in Riga
- Renovation of the Light Guide Optics International production plant in 4 phases
- Renovation and additional construction of the RIMI Logistics Centre
- Latvian Museum of Contemporary Art
- Satekles Business Centre
- Riga Central Railway station (part of Rail Baltica project)
7. How much time do you save using MagiCAD?
We can design approximately 3-5 times faster with MagiCAD compared to native AutoCAD and our previous tools.
8. Can you share an example of a situation where you or the customer saved time and money using MagiCAD?
There is a saying among designers that if you hear nothing about a project after it was built, then the project was good. In our experience, 3D models have been very useful in resolving issues between the builder and the customer. In case something has been built incorrectly and the builder insists that “everything is according to the design”, it is easy to open a 3D model to check things and to see if the installation is built correctly or not and must be changed according to the project. Unfortunately, it is human nature that both customers and builders are less active in communicating positive experiences with each other than negative ones. Overall, in our business, the best sign of quality is when a client returns for another project and we are fortunate to be working with many long-term partners, which makes our daily work very smooth.
9. What do you think are the biggest benefits of working with MagiCAD?
As we have already mentioned, it is difficult to imagine working without MagiCAD, but in our opinion the biggest benefits are:
- Automatic calculations (hydraulics, acoustics), which would take a lot of time to perform with other methods. Fast calculations also make it easier to model different solutions in order to find the optimal one
- Automatic Bill of Materials lists save a lot of time and reduce the possibility of errors
- Access to an extensive product database makes design work a lot easier
Pictures rendered by www.o3fm.lv